Pages

Monday 20 June 2016

Butterick 6054 Maggy London Wrap Dress

I do love a wrap dress, but I don't love the potential for wardrobe malfunctions that they have so I made a few changes to this wrap dress pattern.

Butterick 6054 Maggy London


I had this interesting double border dot print jersey.  I really wanted the lighter part of the fabric, which is in the centre, to be at the top and bottom of my dress though as I thought it might make the middle of me look bigger otherwise  So I needed a dress with a waist seam  and chose the one above.

(Oops I should have added that I bought the fabric in China - in Lowu shopping centre just across the border from Hong Kong which is probably of no use to anyone, sorry!)



This worked out better than I imagined to be honest and I love the way the print looks in the finished dress.







This would be a simple pattern to sew, but I made life difficult for myself by changing it to a faux wrap.  I extended the left underlay of the skirt so that it is joined at the right side seam - so basically it is a skirt with an overlay.  I didn't have to extend the skirt piece very much to do this so I think it is quite generously cut and next time I might just go with a proper wrap version.

The bodice is also stitched down to the centre front only as I wanted to keep the tie end free.  Joining the bodice to the skirt with their different wrap treatments required a bit of mucking about with pins to make sure I got the finished effect that I wanted.

Hopefully these photos make that a bit clearer....?


The pleats at the top of the wrap skirt are quite bulky, but they look good when they are finished, I wouldn't recommend making this in a heavy jersey though.



I did raise the front neckline, quite a common adjustment for me and this is one adjustment I will definitely also make again.  I really like the shape of the dress and I think I will try it again as a proper wrap which will be a much quicker and easier sew than this version!






36 comments:

  1. Wow, you did an amazing job by using that fabric in a creative and clever manner. Your dress is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, this is just gorgeous, think I need this wrap dress pattern too. Where did you find that fabric, just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabric and the way it looks on you! Another winner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! I have often eyed off this pattern and it is great to see your version of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want one too (and preferably in the same fabric ;), know that's not possible but what a great fabric this is.
    Very clever change to the skirt part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great dress. I love the way the print changes. Very clever to make the faux wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is my all time favourite dress of yours and I have been reading your blogs for years! The way you used the print was perfect and it looks absolutely stunning on you. I really hope you get a lot of wear out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Allison love your dsess and it's play on print.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Allison love your dsess and it's play on print.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely, lovely dress! Print placement looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect pattern manipulation - it's a great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done! What a fabulous dress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this dress and the way you manipulated the two fabrics. The dress is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this, it is fantastic and a perfect use of that fabric. Speaking of that - it is just the type of thing that I am always on the lookout for and never seem to find. A good border print is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that I am perpetually seeking. Great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ditto all the other comments, the layout and use of this print was perfect! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another "perfect use of this print!" :)

    Looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The print is fabulous on this dress! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have used this border print to create a very flattering effect. Stunningly beautiful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful use of a border print. Really makes a basic wrap dress special and unique! And it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic use of your fabric, Allison! You always sound like you don't know how you managed to use your prints/patterns well, but time and time again, you've shown you have a real talent for selecting and using prints to great effect! I notice this b/c I truly don't have this skill (yet, I hope)!

    You mentioned how you raised the neckline in this wrap dress: can you show us the pattern pieces if/when you make it again, or in a similar style?

    This dress looks smashing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow this looks fantastic on you and great use of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a gorgeous dress! I like the way you made this, perfect use of the fabric. This looks stunning on you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a very DVF dress. It looks perfect on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an effective use of the print! The result looks like an high end designer dress, but even better as it has all the custom touches to fit your needs, like the modesty adjustments. And of course you look oh so fabulous in it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is awesome! The use of fabric is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE this kind of fabric print...need to go to China... :) and it is perfect for this pattern, great placement, it looks amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely wow! Love the print and the way the intensity is graduated down the dress. And very clever design change - most of us hate sitting down in a wrap dress.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Stunning and such a great fabric to play with! It matched the pattern stylelines superbly!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Perfect fabric for this great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The way you combine your different colored fabrics always looks really spectacular. Lovely pattern making.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is wonderful. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete